A man in a mission to change the society through music B.K aka ‘Borkung Hrangkhawl’ Rapper

(B.K live show in Shillong opening act for Hoostank Band)

Interview: When we talk of Hip Hop music. What comes to our mind first of all is Eminem, today many rapper group or solo rapper are trying to be like him maybe not actually like. But, they are somewhere trying to be like him. What we know about Indian Music is Bollywood Songs and Dance, which had covered every theatre houses and cinema hall each year many movies are made and sold worldwide. Despite, all these there is one underground music spreading like a fire everywhere that is METAL MUSIC.

                           ( Quotes From the recent music video  'Never Give Up' )



Apart from metal music, there is yet! Another one that is Hip Hop music. This music started as street music around 90’s or 80’s in U.S.A. When I was growing up I didn’t hear any rapper group or solo rapper getting recognition for what they are doing. But, now things have changed; B.K (Borkung Hrangkhawl) is one of the Rappers who had proved that Hip Hop music can exist in Metal Dominated Country like India both underground and over the ground scene. By winning VIMA Asia Award 2014 (Bronze) for BEST GENRE BENDER .To know more about him our Editor in Chief of The Bodo Tribe 18 chat with him...


First of all congratulation for winning VIMA Awards for two times

B.K: Thank you bro, but we won just once.

Your father is a social worker, ‘And you think he had inspire you a lot’ ‘Can you please tell us in how many ways?’

 B.K: My father is my hero. I take inspiration from him in many ways. I admire the qualities in him. He has done so much for the indigenous people in Tripura. Although I am not in politics I feel like I can do my bit through music.

Personally what Music mean to you?

B.K: Music is a gift from God. Music is a weapon for me. No matter how old you become in life you will still listen to music. And I am using music as a medium to spread my message especially to the youths and make them aware of things.

You said ‘My music is my weapon’ please say something about this?  

B.K: Music is a weapon because it is powerful as a weapon. And through music we can touch lives and save lives. And through music I can deliver my message very loud and clear to the listeners.

Do you think your natural born musician?

B.K:  The gifts that I have in me are from God so I would say "yes" because I didn't take any classes for music. It just happened.

You had recently released an official video by the name ‘Never Give Up’ I personally felt the concept of the video and the lyrics to be awesome! Can you please tell us something about it?

  (Never Give Up 'Promo Picture of the Song 'Never Give Up' before releasing the Video)

B.K: Never Give Up is a song I did with Dj Ina and Moses Rai my guitarist. The song talks about my personal experience as a musician. Through the song we wanted to encourage people especially the youths to Never Give Up in life. The Music Video was shot in Gujarat/Rann of Kutch, Rajasthan/Mandar, Manipur/Loktak Lake, Nagaland/ Kohima, Himachal Pradesh/ Manali and Spiti Valley. The Music Video was very challenging but we had a good time smile emoticon.

 The Journey, is infused with staccato beats paired with infectious riffs, has climbed the ladder of success as the #4 Most Trending Music Video on YouTube on 11th February 2013. ‘This was the line written in your Facebook/Page’ How would you describe these success in few lines?

       (No.4 Most Trending Music Video in Youtube for the Song 'The Journey')

B.K: The journey was a huge success for me. I did the song in three languages, English, Hrangkhawl and in Hindi. And we mixed hip hop with a little bit of blues because we don't believe in restricting ourselves to one genre but instead we fuse in different type of music and I guess that's why it was such a huge success.

What kind of messages you want to give through your music? As your music talks about social issues?

B.K: Through music i want to tell people about the problems we tribals face in Tripura. And i also talk about racism and discrimination that we North East people face in Metropolitan cities. And the most important part is telling people about God.

You had released four official video if I’ m not wrong ‘which one is your best one and favourite one and Why?

B.K: Yes I have released four music videos and my favorite one is of course " Never Give Up" . I like Never Give Up because first of all the song has a very strong message and I like how we have mixed hip hop, metal and Dubstep all together in one song. And for me the video is very interesting and i will always cherish it.

Ok! I saw a post in your official facebook/page that you wrote saying your releasing yet other official video. Can you please tell us something about it?

B.K: Yes we are releasing our first commercial song and the music video is almost done. So let’s see what happens grin emoticon.

Any messages to your fans out there?

B.K: Thank you all for supporting me right from the start. It means a lot to me. And more songs and videos are coming your way. Thank you once again. God Bless smile emoticon.



To follow him.You can visit his Facebook page; https://www.facebook.com/borkung.hrangkhawl/info?tab=page_info 
Website: http://www.borkung.com/



[We would like to thank ‘Borkung Hrangkhawl’ aka B.K for giving time for the interview and wish him good luck for his future Projects.This interview was taken by Editor in Chief (Maophung Gwra Gayary) on behalf of the The Bodo Tribe 18 Magazine.All the pictures are of ‘Borkung Hrangkhawl’ Facebook/ page]

Words by Maophung Gwra Gayary (Editor in Chief)



Share on Google Plus

About The Bodo Tribe 'Online-Magazine'

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Find Us On Facebook