Naga Woman in foreign land selling local cuisines in Food Truck


Interview: At one point in time, some years back. I had this feeling within myself that. What if we had a street food truck in our hometown. Well, that was just a dream, Here is one woman who is living her dream serving a Tribal dishes along with other Asian dishes in Belgium.H er name is Lulu Pheiga belonging from Rongmei Naga tribe, hails from Neikanlong, Manipur (Ind) and her food truck are called ‘Lulu’s Tribal Kitchen’. Recently we catch her via Facebook to know about her...

First of all, please tell something about yourself?

Lulu: I am Lulu Pheiga Gangmei, Rongmei Naga but born and brought up in Imphal, Manipur. We (me and my husband Bob Staal) started ‘Lulu’s Tribal Kitchen’ 2 yrs ago, this is our 3rd Summer.

                                                 Lulu  in her Kitchen 

         “We started off with a tent as we can’t afford to
          Buy a food truck and we called it the Tribal tent.”


You are basically from Manipur and now you’re in Belgium running Lulu’s Tribal Kitchen. How did that happen?

Lulu: I moved to Belgium after my marriage four years ago and I was looking for a job but it was difficult to get any job as I don’t speak the language. So actually it was my husband idea to start something with food (he is foodies) and he had always wanted to follow the cooking class. But he gave that up for me.

So, I went to hotel school for a year, difficult because of the language but somehow I made it through with all the support from my husband and mother - in - law.

What are the dishes that you make in your food truck?

Lulu: I make different dishes according to the occasions but for most festivals, it's 1) Smoked Pork with bamboo shoots (tribal gun) 2) Butter Chicken 3) Naga Dahl



“ I moved to Belgium after my marriage 4 yrs ago but we have been traveling back and forth, we love traveling and we love food so its perfect”

What is the motto behind ‘Lulu’s Tribal Kitchen’ formation?

Lulu:  We want to promote North East of India, here in Belgium and also a bit of Belgium in the North East, we are planning to start something there very soon.




Before signing out! Any words you would like to say


Lulu:  I would like to say thank you to everyone for the love and support from across the miles, we really appreciate it. 



Words by The Bodo Tribe 18 (Team)

[This interview was taken by Maophung Gwra Gayary (Editor in Chief) on behalf   of the Magazine] 
Share on Google Plus

About The Bodo Tribe 'Online-Magazine'

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Find Us On Facebook