“Eat your Kappa” an YouTube channel taking local cuisines to the world

      
YouTube has become a popular medium to showcase one's talent to the wider audiences. And it is now, one of the second largest search engine in the world next to Google.Nambie Jessica Marak is a young YouTuber and she is running a Channel call ‘Eat your Kappa ‘ a channel based on cooking teaching people how to make  Local Cuisines. Below is an interview with her.  

Please introduce yourself?

My name is Nambie Jessica Marak. I was born and brought up in Shillong - a melting pot of different cultures from Northeastern India. I come from a family of five; however, our own extended family is quite diverse. I have sister-in-law's who are Khasi, Mizo, Bodo and even a Tamil. *laughs*

I moved out of Shillong to Chennai for higher education and work. I majored in Communication Studies and work as a freelance ELT and Communication trainer, where I train to school and college student, and young professionals. I am also a YouTuber, I create videos showcasing Northeastern food, culture and everything nice and post it on a channel called - Eat Your Kappa.

Why did you choose YouTube as a medium to promo Local Cuisines?

 I specifically chose YouTube as the medium because it is a huge platform and the most popular one too. A wide range of audience can access my videos if I have them on YouTube. Our amazing food culture has been in the shadows for way too long, I am just trying my bit to bring out some of NE dishes to people beyond NE.


You quit your job to work full time? Do you consider it as a good decision or worst decision?

I had anxious moments where I was worried about not having a regular income, especially after having worked in a big concern and getting a monthly salary without fail. On the whole, I am glad that I took the plunge and I do not regret the decision that I have taken. At least, I don't have to drag my sorry self to the office every day. It's been an amazing learning experience and I have freedom and time to pursue what I like. I believe that Vlogs like this will help people understand our cuisine and culture better


How is the response so far from the audience?

My YouTube channel 'Eat Your Kappa' has just about 1700 subscribers and is pretty nascent, but it has viewers from almost 120 countries. I love the fact that my Youtube channel has been growing at a constant rate and I love to engage with my audience through the comments sections of the video.

However, to be honest, sometimes some recipes stir up quite a controversy in the comments section, which is quite entertaining and sometimes there are quite harsh comments too from those who don't agree to the difference in the recipe.



Tell us the meaning & motto behind (Eat your Kappa) name

There is no meaning or motto behind the name ' Eat Your Kappa'. I was looking for a good name for my channel and since it is a food-related the first thing that flashed in my mind was the word 'Kappa' which is cooking done by the Garos and I absolutely adore the dish. Hence the name 'Eat Your Kappa' was conceptualized.


What are the types of equipment that you used for the shots?

I shoot my videos using a Canon 70D and use a very sturdy Vanguard Tripod. Apart from that, I don't make use of any other piece of pieces of equipment.


Your Future Plans & Messages

Though 'Eat Your Kappa; is primarily about Northeastern recipes, I have started making videos on travel and I also intend to introduce videos on Northeastern brewing and Tribal culture.

On a serious note, I want to start documenting the Northeastern way of living. There are hundreds of different tribes with the collective indigenous knowledge that is priceless. This priceless knowledge is also fragile as they are passed down orally from one person to another and there are no written or video records. On the face of rampant globalization and modernization, I fear all that will be lost forever or appropriated.

The scope is immensely vast here ranging from traditions, medicine, agricultural practices to Weaving and beyond. Hopefully in the near future if I am financially independent and have a good team to work with I will start video documenting them, maybe under the same channel or a different one.




To visit Eat your Kappa (Click Here): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7XV6pWd_Tth7OQlsVvVu9g



Words by The Bodo Tribe 18 (Team) 


Share on Google Plus

About The Bodo Tribe 'Online-Magazine'

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Find Us On Facebook